Friday, November 9, 2012

Pickled Red Cabbage

Who would have known that by making some pickled Vietnamese vegetables that I would have found myself bitten by the pickling bug? The only answer I can come up for this is, those of you who have or do pickle or can things knew it.

I did what I could to find a recipe that called for sea salt instead of kosher (because I ran out of kosher salt). I decided to settle on this one.

First, I mixed up the apple cider vinegar, sugar, sea salt (I told you I was out of kosher salt) and let it sit.

I cut my red cabbage in half


and washed it in a bowl once everything was cut how I wanted it.

I stuffed as much of the red cabbage as I dared into the jar I had available.

And poured the liquid over it.

I didn't shake it up every fifteen minutes on the dot or anything, I just periodically went into the kitchen and shook up the jar while I let it sit out on the counter. Here's what it looked like when I put it in the fridge for the night.

I had red cabbage left from the half that I'd cut up so I put it in a container to be used for a roasted red pepper and red cabbage salad for lunch during a planned play date for the next day.

For the moment I'm just waiting to crack into my pickled red cabbage.

No comments:

Post a Comment