Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pintesting In The Kitchen - Vietnamese Pickled Vegetables

This was another one of those pins that when I saw it I felt like I just had to have it as soon as humanly possible. The recipe for these beautiful pickled vegetables can be found here.

On grocery day the first place I went for vegetables didn't have daikon, but absolutely insistant on pickled vegetables, I bought some parsnips just in absolute case I didn't find any.

Parsnips and daikon are not the same thing, but I was just feeling obsessed with getting some delicious pickled vegetables into my tummy.

Thankfully I was able to find daikon at another store.

I worked pretty slowly on this whole thing. In fact I started this while I was making that caramelized onion, mushroom, prosciutto, and  fresh mozzarella sandwich I made the other day. While I waited for my sandwich to cook I cleaned, peeled, julienned, and placed the daikon into a container for later.

When I came back I did the same to my carrots.

Some time during the cleaning and cutting of my cucumber I realized that I wasn't still back in culinary school and there wouldn't be a chef to come around and check my trimmings and julienned veggies to see if they were done to an exact standard.

I used actual paper towels to pat the cucumber dry. I'd like to point out that I did not purchase these paper towels. They were left at my house by a maintenance worker.

I also patted the previously refrigerated daikon dry. The carrots really didn't seem like they needed it to me.

Then I put together the mixure of sea salt, sugar, water, and rice vinegar. I strirred the mixture until the sugar had dissolved.

By the time I poured the liquid over the vegetables I was already salivating just a bit.

Now I have to wait five whole days!

No comments:

Post a Comment