Friday, October 19, 2012

Foodie Friday - Home-Made Raising Cane's Sauce

I friggin LOVE Raising Cane's chicken. I was even insistent that there be Raising Cane's at my wedding!

If you've ever had it before I'm sure it will come as no surprise to you that the 100 pieces of chicken we ordered for our very, very small wedding, went incredibly fast. I had a guest come late that knew there would be Cane's and when he met up with me he was sadly holding a cup of Cane sauce saying that he could tell it was here but that was all that was left.

When I first tried Raising Canes, I loved the chicken but didn't care for the sauce. The second time I had it the obsession that so many Cane's fans feel for it finally hit me. I've tried it on many non-chicken foods including hot dogs.

Copy cat recipes have popped up all over the internet and it seems where you find these recipes you always have someone who has worked for Canes leaving the comment of how they already know the recipe and/or the recipe you are looking at it completely wrong. I have yet to see an employee tell anyone in a public forum what the real recipe is.

It was dinner time and we needed to eat. I decided on some leftover fried chicken and some chicken patties (because frankly we didn't have enough of the "fried chicken" to go around). Suddenly I felt the urge to test one of these alleged Cane Sauce recipes.

I went with the one I found here.

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Lots of ground pepper

Mix first 4 ingredients the cover top with pepper. Mix well and cover again with pepper.

Refrigerate for several hours to let the flavors marry


I wasn't going to wait hours for sauce. We were already hungry. I think I waited a bit more like 10 - 30 minutes. When I was ready to eat I asked my husband to go get the food - I knew he'd take forever to do it so that added some extra time on from my 20 - 30 minutes for my flavours to marry.


The results:

First impression? Needs a tad more ketchup. But I was too hungry and too lazy to do anything about it so I kept on keepin' on.

It was good. Was it dead-on exact? Definitely not but still pretty close. If I'd had garlic salt I would have used that instead but I was out. I think that could improve the taste even more.

The recipe is totally worth trying and close enough I don't feel a true Caniac should be disappointed.

*I used Hellmans mayo and Heinz ketchup
**My husband took the pictures not me

No comments:

Post a Comment