Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Pintesting In The Kitchen - Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Brie Grilled Cheese

Sometimes you come across a pin you need to make ASAP. That's how I felt when I saw this picture attached to this pin.

Oooooooooooh cheese-its yes!!! Just looking at this picture makes me want to make another.

The original recipe (which I strayed ever so slightly from) can be found here.

This bread screamed badass sammich so I had to have it.

The pieces of bread aren't quite nearly as frighteningly massive as they appear. This is actually 4 pieces of bread.

Thankfully grocery day was only a few days away and that evening I scurried into the kitchen to get to work. I assembled the majority of the necessary ingredients.

Thinly sliced my beautiful sweet yellow onion.

Seriously buttered up my large pan and added the onions and then dusted them with garlic powder.

Once the onions began to nearly get caramalized, I added my mushrooms as well as some more butter.

Things were coming together beautifully. Once the onions and mushrooms were reaching the point that the onions were finished caramelizing and the mushrooms were nearly tender I added beef stock. It's really up to you how much you add. Then I dusted it with some flour and mixed everything together to form a bit of a gravy.

Meanwhile I set to work prepping my bread in a way similar to how I had to when I worked at a small gourmet sandwich shop.

Cut your bread using a serrated blade.

Butter what would typically be considered the inside of your sandwich and then dust it with a little garlic powder (the garlic powder is all me, the place I worked just put the bread together this way to make their panninis.)

Fire up your George Forman grill or pannini press - whichever you may have. Place one slice butter side down onto the grill and build your sandwich from there. When you've finished putting all you desire to be the inside of your sandwich onto that slice of bread, place the last slice of bread butter side up on top.

In the case of this particular sandwich my first layer was onion, followed by mushroom, followed by brie.

Then cook inside your press until it's reached the point you consider done. Remove it from the press. Place it on a plate and enjoy!

How was the sandwich? Needed a little salt. But otherwise pretty darn tasty and it went fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment