Friday, February 8, 2013

Getting Picky With A Pin - Making Butter

We go through quite a bit of butter. Lately it seems we go through two boxes of butter every two weeks. What can I say? I'm a real fat kinda girl - none of that fake stuff is welcome here.

A little tired of regularly having to buy butter, always happy to have a bit more control over what's in what my family eats, and seeing an opportunity to cut down waste (the container, those papers I'm certain have to be coated with plastic, etc.) - I opted to just make my own butter.

Today's pintest comes via this pin and the information found here.

It would have been super simple for me to run to the closest grocery store and grab store brand heavy cream to make my butter but that's not what I wanted if I were going to make my own. I wanted Snowville Creamery Heavy Whipping Cream.

Snowville Creamery is a local creamery where the cows are grass fed, their products are pasteurized at the lowest possible temperature, no homogenization, no rBST, and no antibiotics  - with that as a completely viable option I saw no reason to go any other direction with this.

Knowing that a local but not as close as I usually use grocery store carried Snowville Creamery milk I made sure to call ahead and ask if they carried their heavy cream. They did not. The hunt was on. I called a natural market I like but they were out. I called a grocery store waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay on the other side of town and they had some. Thankfully I didn't have to go quite that far, two stores between my home and the grocery store that was tremendously out of my way had it in stock.
Having traveled off my regularly beaten path I opted to get myself two additional treats while I was there.
I'll level with you - this wasn't a cheap trip. The heavy cream, the milk, and my chia drink brought me to a total of $18.
This half gallon of heavy whipping cream will allow me to make this recipe twice. For one batch use 4 cups (2 pints) of the heavy cream.

Hunting down the cream I wanted so badly was the hard part. Here come's the easy part.

I sterilized some jars that I wanted to store the butter in. All of the excess I intended to freeze. If you plan to do the same make sure not to fill your jars past the freezer fill line if they have one - otherwise your jar will break.

Gather your ingredients.
Pour your cream into your food processor. And get to processing. After a while it will look like beautiful whipped butter a bit like you see in the tub. Don't be fooled. You aren't finished yet.
What we need is for the cream to separate from the milk. Process until it looks like this.
Once it does give it another shot with the processor for good measure.

Two pints of heavy cream/butter seperated left me with this much buttermilk.
Squeeze out as much of the additional buttermilk from the butter as you can. Then add salt to taaste I added 1/4 tsp of kosher salt.
Then place it into your sterilized jars.
My entire first batch of butter was going to be frozen. After I made my second batch I kept 1 half-pint container out to make the hubs a special breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment