Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pintesting In The Kitchen - Cheesey Vegetable Chowder

Still trying to stay on top of any picky-eater problems I may at any moment encounter with my little lamb I keep trying to make sure I'm frequently offering veggie filled alternatives.

Today's pintest comes via this pin and the info found here.

2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1 celery stick, finely chopped (feel free to add more celery if you like celery; I don't, so I don't add much)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 cups chicken broth (I usually use a mixture of low-sodium chicken broth and broth made with chicken soup base because it gives it such nice flavor)
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Tablespoon flour
1/2 cup water
2/3 cup milk
2 cups chopped broccoli
2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
Melt the butter in a large soup pot.

Chop up your onions,

and your carrots,
and your celery.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender.
 Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
This is a good time to chop up your potatoes. I used one of my personal favorite kinds - Yukon Gold.
Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender.
Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.

Now wash and separate your broccoli. I had broccoli crown so I just broke off pieces until I was breaking off what I considered "soup-sized" pieces.
 Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through.
You're supposed to stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve - but I managed to forget to do this. How I could ever forget cheese I really don't know. The soup was alright and my little lamb seemed to really love it. I'm going to call this a pin worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment