Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Homemade Vitamin Water

I used to love vitamin water, but I had an incident where someone slipped drugs into mine and it left me unable to stand the taste of it. Years before that even happened my husband, a die-hard sports nut, told me that under NCAA guidelines vitamin waters contained banned substances and that college athletes were being told they couldn't drink it.

These banned substances included taurine, L-theanine, green-tea extract and glucosamine. Withing a week of the link I provided you above vitamin water was given the green light. Hmmmmmm.

After dealing with the intense thirst that accompanies gestational diabetes I decided to try my hand at making my own.

For starters I chose to only make two.

One contained frozen pineapple and mango chunks along with some fresh mint.
The other contained a frozen mixture of berries (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries).
Making these was simple. Just put your fruit in your chosen glass container, fill it with water, and then put it in the fridge for a minimum of 1 - 4 hours to let the water infuse. I left mine overnight.

The resulting concoction was okay but not what I was hoping for. We did however find that the drink tasted even better later in the day than in the beginning.

Still very interested a few days later I made a couple more.
The one on the left has (frozen) blueberries, line, and cucumber. The one on the right has cucumber, lemon, mint, and ginger. These were pretty disgusting. The one on the left had way too much lime and the one on the right was just a bit of an amalgam of nasty.

I'm going to have to try this again with fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment