Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pintesting in the Kitchen - Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers

Cheese steaks are one of my favorite foods. When I liked in South Philadelphia (feeling like the lone mooly in Saint Monicas perish), (pretty much) the only two places I felt worth buying them was Tony Lukes or a place called George's on 9th street which you can find in the Italian market. Don't be a tourist and waste your money at Pats
 or Genos. Genos always looked to me like the sort of place that should actually be selling tacos.
As much as I would love to enjoy the crackle and chew of a sub roll with a steak and cheese - gestational diabetes has other things to generally say about my carb intake.

Today's pintest comes via this pin and the info found here.

It all begins with some green pepper.
That you wash and then slice lengthwise.
Remove the rib and the seeds.
If you like wash it one more time to rinse away the seeds that may be remaining.
Slice up some onion and mushrooms
then gently sautee them.
Once they are soft you can stop sauteeing.

Place a slice of provolone cheese inside the halved green pepper.

Then, because I was going to use Steak-Em's I chose to cook a bit of them a little before adding them to the inside of the pepper. Steak-Em's are oily/greasy and I didn't want my green pepper packed with grease.
Return your mushroom and onions to the pan with the meat.

Add the mix to your green peppers. I put a little salt on top of this.
Top with a slice of provolone cheese.
Then place it in the oven to cook until your cheese is nice and melty.

Plate with whatever else you plan to eat with them. I had mine with eggplant caviar and a red cabbage salad drizzled with red wine vinegar and honey.
The dish was disappointing. It was bland and even with more salt it didn't improve. You are unable to get the steak and cheese mix thoroughly throughout the green pepper. I got bites that were nothing but green pepper and others that had too much of the somehow bland tasting steak and cheese mix.
And despite my effort the steak-em's still leaked grease.


No comments:

Post a Comment