Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pintesting - Herbal Vapo Rub

In November my little lamb developed a really nasty, persistent cough. You could very clearly hear she had a lot of fluid. Lots of hot steamy showers weren't really doing the job. We made sure to keep her in her warmest jammies - but still, her cough persisted.

Eventually we just got some medicated Halls and allowed her to have one in the hope that it would help and she wouldn't choke. The cough drop didn't work so I used the Vick's vapo rub we had at home. The container says that it wasn't really for children her age but I was feeling enough concern over this cough that I put a little on her for two nights.

It was time to stock up on the things I would need to make my own.

Today's pintest comes via this pin and the information found here.

Get your materials together.
Add 2 parts coconut oil to 1 part beeswax in a pan or small pot. I used 1/2 c. coconut oil and 1/4 c. beeswax.

Once it's melted add your essential oils and place the mixture in whatever container you plan to store this in. I  made 6 ounces so I put it into a half-pint mason jar.
Refrigerate for around 15 minutes and you should be left with a ready batch of home-made, chemical-free, Vick's vapo rub-styled chest rub.

The resulting rub smelled more like eucalyptus than camphor like I'd expected. We're just really happy to have a safe chest rub to use on children under the age of 2 - 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment